Friday, October 17, 2008

Back to Bike, Back to Reality

My life post-Mexico has been a fart in a whirlwind. I haven't stopped since my plane hit the tarmac. For example, the very next day my good friend, Katie, and I drove to San Antonio for the MS150. It's a 150 mile bike ride to raise money for the Multiple Sclerosis Society for those not in the know and I was under the impression that we were doing one of the easier rides in Texas. Hahaha, says fate. Not so! First of all, it's actually 160 miles, but who's really counting. And then secondly, coming from a higher elevation and riding to sea level, we were naturally expecting to go downhill a few times. There was no "down hill." How is it that we traveled from the hill country to the beach on a constant incline? Also, at each rest stop, the lovely volunteers would repeatedly offer, oh it's all downhill from here and the ride is much easier from this point on. Of course, you want to believe them. After many uphill climbs, teeth clacking from the bumpy road surface, I asked Katie to kindly remind me about our pleasant experience before we sign up for another race. A few days ago, in a moment of excitement (oh! the registration is filling up soooo fast!), we signed up for the Houston to Austin MS 150. We will be older, wiser and more prepared for this one, I'm sure.

No comments: